Another bright and sunny day, but a first hash for Llano del Espino (or certainly the first for quite some time).
The hashers met up at the cemetery just above the village ready for the hash set by Hares, Slot Machine and Key Fob.
The runners set off and soon began to curse the false trails that took them in and out of hamlets along the length of the Rambla de Oria from Llano del Espino to Fuente Mojón and beyond. A fish hook marking whiplashed them almost back to the beginning before Key Fob took them through the hamlet of Los Simones and through the village of Llano del Espino itself.
The walkers set off in the opposite direction before discovering that a property owner had fenced off the original route planned through a hamlet down to the rambla. Thankfully though, the homeowner, his young daughter and a shedload of dogs were there to enable access and allow them to continue. Slot Machine guided them along the rambla before traipsing through Los Simones and up the bastard hill (especially for Non Cents) back to the cemetery for the closing circle.
It was especially good to welcome three “virgins” to their first hash – two local and one from New Zealand. All three seemed to enjoy themselves, but the proof will be in seeing if they return.
It seemed to be a week for plenty of punishment down-downs with everything from:
- Bog Trotter watering the campo and lying about it (apparently she’s a tree expert now – or not. How anyone can confuse almonds with olives is beyond us).
- The virgins received a welcome down-down and our Kiwi virgin was dragged back in again for wearing a hat in the circle.
- Big Nuts being nominated by Non Cents for breaking tradition and NOT watering the campo. Actually Non Cents seemed to be targetting Big Nuts frequently. Lovers Tiff? Or foreplay? Goodness only knows.
- However, Big Nuts was dragged back into the circle again for receiving a down-down under false pretences… apparently he did indeed partake in a weasel wee after all.
- Slot Machine was targetted several times for various misdemeanours including getting the walkers lost, setting crystallised crosses.
- Key Fob just for the hell of it.
- Non Cents for walking backwards up a hill.
- Thank you to Key Fob who jumped in the final hour to assist Slot Machine with marking her first hash – even if in his words it was “crap,” “rubbish”, and caused him to “hang his head in shame”.
- Thank you to Carpet Burns who stepped in to assist with photography during the down-downs.
- A special thank you to Rudi who took on his role as filmmaker extremely seriously. Sadly, the only person who gets to see the video is the writer of the follow up articles.
- Another thank you to Flat Note who continues to be a sterling Choir Mistress – and has adpoted a whistle to keep the hashers in check too.
After the circle, most of the hashers headed to Angelito’s Bar at Rambla de Oria for drinks and tapas. Special mention must be made of the food, especially the bocadillo con morcilla which was enjoyed by a number of hashers.
Slot Machine declared that she needed to visit the ladies’ room and was informed that it was a hole in the ground accessible by lock and key, next to the chicken coop. She didn’t believe the description and trotted off to get the key from the helpful lad behind the bar. She is now traumatised because it was indeed a hole in the ground… although it was spotlessly clean with a ceramic surround. Prickly Tits was happy to pose squatted over said hole – and you can see this in the photos.
A number of fellow Brits descended upon the bar ready to party because the Hash visit coincided with the Rambla de Oria fiesta.
There are still a couple of places left for the Christmas Hash Bash in Mojacar on December 12. The price has now dropped to €30 – €40 per couple thanks to a cash injection from the Hash Cash. Please contact Key Fob and/or Bog Trotter to book.
In Puff’s absence, the photos are added into this article instead of the usual link. This will be updated later on. Travel safely Puff!